With a pond, deeper can often be better. Whether you want to give your pond an update, remove built-up muck or fight back against erosion, you’ll want to use the right tools and follow the correct steps to stay safe and get the job done right.
STEPS TO DEEPEN A POND WITH A DREDGE
STEPS TO DEEPEN A POND BY DRAINING & DEEPENING
If you need to deepen a pond of any size, follow these steps to get the best outcome and make the most efficient use of your time:
- Remove living organisms: Collect your plants, fish and other organisms living in the pond for safety while renovating.
- Drain the water (optional): If you plan on deepening the pond without the help of a small dredge, you may need to completely drain the pond. Put aside at least one-third of the water to help balance your ecosystem.
- Let it dry (optional): Let the bed dry for easier digging. Depending on the pond size and the climate, this can take a few hours or last overnight.
- Start in the center: Start digging at the center and work your way outward. Remove a small amount of soil at a time and take several passes.
- Replace the water (if drained): Refill your pond using the water saved from the draining process and use fresh water for the rest.
- Restore your pond: Return your plants, fish and other living creatures to your pond and enjoy your hard work!
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED
You will want to rent an excavator from your local heavy equipment supplier that’s capable of moving the amount of earth you have in mind.
If you plan on draining the pond, you want to get a submersible pump. Dredging may be appropriate for your pond, especially if you have a pond that’s large enough to float a small barge dredge on. Then, no draining of the pond is needed.
GET THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT
If you would like expert advice to make sure you have the right equipment to deepen a pond, we can help. At GeoForm International, we manufacture submersible pumps and dredge systems that are extremely well-suited to handling your pond-related demands. To learn more about our products or to speak with our team, fill out our contact form or give us a call at 913-782-1166.