Rivers serve as both unique ecosystems for wildlife and mediums for human projects.
However, a river’s health can face adverse side effects from the gradual buildup of silt, mud and sand on its bed. With the use of our Dino6 river dredge technology, GeoForm International can offer you better solutions for river dredging along with multiple unique benefits.
What Is River Dredging and Why Is It Important?
Dredging involves the careful removal of overabundant sediments and debris from the bottom of waterways — including rivers, streams, eddies and coves.
While dredging with the Dino6 is not recommended for fast-moving waters, since it can cause accelerated erosion and worsen flooding conditions, it does benefit slow-moving bodies of water. Sediments can block up these waterways and reduce their depth, which in turn reduces the river’s ability to hold increased amounts of water. Therefore, sediment removal can significantly aid in flood prevention by deepening and widening the riverbed.
Slightly expanding the river also allows for better boat navigation and operation.
Timely sediment removal has many benefits, such as:
- Making the river more environmentally friendly
- Minimizing the degradation of bodies of water that are fed by the river’s flow
- Deepening and widening the river to ensure the safe, unimpeded passage of cargo ships and other commercial and recreational vessels
- Resulting in a cleaner river that can support aquatic wildlife and vegetation growth
- Serving as a more attractive waterbody that appeals to fishermen, recreational boaters and anyone who enjoys the great outdoors
Slow-Moving River Dredge
River dredging is a delicate process, and a lot of traditional excavators and dredgers are not built to produce optimal results in the modern age. Old equipment is cumbersome and requires a lot of human resources to operate, thus increasing time and labor costs.
Positioning these pieces of equipment is also difficult, as getting them into the water can damage riverbanks — as well as the ecosystems that they play vital roles in. The pumps can cause environmental damage under the surface, as reckless dredging can kick up all of that nasty silt and release contained toxins.
With the use of our Dino6 Sediment Removal System, you can bypass all of those issues with one convenient system. Some advantages of this dredging method include:
- Portability: The Dino6 — which measures in at 6 feet wide and 22 feet long — requires only 14 inches of water to operate, therefore taking up a significantly smaller footprint than other models. This also makes it easier to get it into the water.
- Capabilities: River dredging requires a pump that can handle the various materials located on the river bottom, like rocks and shells. The Dino6 maintains a 1,500 gpm pump rate for smooth operation, and it utilizes a direct-drive cutter to plow through overgrown weeds. The Dino6 can transport everything mud to sand and gravel, making it the ultimate river dredge.
- Environmentally friendly: The compact, lightweight design minimizes the Dino6’s impact on riverbeds, thus reducing the need for repairs after launch and recovery. It also sucks up the sediment without releasing too much of it into the rest of the water supply, thus improving cleanliness.
Trust GeoForm International River Dredging Equipment
We’re confident that our Dino6 system may be your solution for any project involving slow-moving water sources. We will provide comprehensive customer service and technical support whenever you need it. Contact us today to enlist our expert services or get a free quote on your next river dredge.